March 19, 2010

Book Review: Water for Elephants

I just finished this book. Literally. Three minutes ago. I had to come share my thoughts. This book was superb. I haven't been reading much, but what a way to get back into it.

The story is about Jacob Jankowski, a ninety or ninety-three year old man. He is living in a rest home, reflecting on his days with the circus to get through what his life has now become.

So, the story is obviously focused on his time with the circus. At first, I was hesitant. It was recommended to me by a friend and after listening to her rant and rave about it, I gave in. I read the first few chapters one night, but couldn't focus enough, so I gave up. But I took it with me on my trip to California. I think I read a few more chapters on the plane out there simply to take up time. They were good, but I still wasn't seeing what was so great about it.

It wasn't until I was sitting in the airport to go back to Utah that I really got into it. I started reading to take my mind off the sadness of going back and I was hooked. I didn't even bother putting it back in my backpack when I got on the plane. I was devouring it and I couldn't put it down. It's been that way all week. I read every free second I had because I just had to know what happened.

This story is gritty and real. It doesn't focus so much on the circus as it does on Jacob's experiences. I laughed, I gasped, I cried. If you haven't read it, you need to. The author researched everything so you can be guaranteed that you're getting the most authentic experience you can. I was captured by Jacob and the way he saw his world and learned to work for himself. It doesn't shy away from uncomfortable topics. You've got to read this. It is wonderful.

And I hear they're making a movie out of it with Reese Witherspoon!

Now I have to find something else to read . . . .

~Sydney

1 comment:

Linz McC said...

I loved this book, too. I have this weird obsession with old-timey traveling circuses/carnivals. That is why I like that TV show Carnivale. I can't wait to see how the movie turns out. Tell me you know that Rob Pattinson is playing young Jacob in the movie. Just makin' sure.