March 29, 2011

Cadbury Egg: Memory #4

There was one day my first year at BYU that I had the worst possible day. Everything went wrong in my classes, with my homework, with my friends, with myself. The only thing I was looking forward to was getting to go swim laps with a friend at the sports building that night.

Even that went wrong.

I got kicked out because my bathing suit was exposing too much of my chest. When I asked Doug what he wanted to do, he decided to stay behind and keep swimming. I fled with extremely hurt feelings and barely able to keep myself under control. After changing and starting the cold trudge back to my dorm, I finally lost it and called my mom.

I ended up sitting under a little overhang by the back entrance and spilling everything to my mom. I sat there and sobbed quite unattractively, praying no one would pass by.

Of course, someone did. A girl walked right by me, giving me a brief glance before rounding the corner. I continued to sob into my phone, now a bit embarrassed, when she came back. She walked right up to me and held out a Cadbury Creme Egg.

"I hope you feel better," she said.

I know I must have looked stunned as I took it from her and thanked her. She smiled and then continued on her way. I couldn't help the small smile on my own face as I looked down at her gift.

Now, every time I see a Cadbury Egg, I smile.

1 comment:

Alyssa said...

I remember that! :) I remember we were both really bugged about you getting kicked out.