July 02, 2011

Blank

There are times when I open a new file and stare at the blank screen for ages. The need to write is there, my imagination is itching to produce something, but I can't think of a single thing. So I stare and I stare and then I stare some more.

It's quite possibly the most frustrating thing in my life.

I think of all the books I read and, yes, even the fanfiction stories I read, and I can't help but be disappointed. How many times have I read a story that affects me and stays with me forever, even after I've finished it? How many times have I cried or cheered or ached for fictional characters? Why can't I think of something like that? Those are the stories that inspire me, that comfort me, and make my life that much more interesting. Where has my creativity gone?

I've been listening to Billy Joel's "Piano Man" a lot lately, and I think I've finally figured out why. Here are all these bar patrons who have failed dreams, who can do more, but instead they are all gathered to drink in their lack of success. When I stare at that blank document, the fear that I could end up that way is never more real. This passion, this desire to do what I love could lead to complete failure, and that's the last thing I want to see happen. To inspire even one ounce of the emotion I feel when I read something great is what I really want to do.

So I continue to stare at the white screen and pray it will be covered in text soon.

No comments: