January 29, 2011

Day 10 - A Story About a Past Relationship

For those of you who don't know, this is Doug.

I met him my freshman year of college. I knew who he was in the beginning since he was in my ward and he was always the life of the party. Loud and fun. (And I mean it as a good thing!)

At first, I thought he was one of those popular types that sticks with his own kind. Imagine my surprise when halfway through the year, I found him hanging out with my group of friends. He quickly became one of my absolute best friends and someone I knew I could count on when I needed him.

Well, one thing led to another and we ended up dating. As much as I care for Doug, dating didn't work for the two of us. In the few weeks we did date, I watched an amazing friendship crumble before my eyes. Quite honestly, it was heartbreaking. When the relationship ended, we were both left with fragments of a friendship that we couldn't make fit together.

The year ended and Doug left for his mission shortly after that. It wasn't until several months later that I decided to write him with the hope that he was doing well. And I was surprised when he wrote back. We still trade letters back and forth and I think we may be rebuilding our friendship.

Only time will tell.

1 comment:

Alyssa said...

Oh Doug! I really do miss that kid sometimes