May 02, 2011

Ekphrasis

\ˈek-frə-səs\ - a literary description of or commentary on a visual work of art


Winter semester, my English professor told us about the sonnet challenge he had dedicated himself to. He created a blog and every single day, for an entire year, he writes a sonnet.

Of course, I was intrigued by this. But . . . I hate poetry. Why would I want to write sonnets?

Well, that's where ekphrasis comes in. I am challenging myself to write a short ekphrastic piece every day for the next year.

And I'm excited!

So, what does that mean? Well, I'm going to set up a separate blog where all the pieces, along with the photo or piece of art will be posted. Because that's what ekphrasis is: literature based on visual art.

Here's where my plea comes in. I'm asking you - yes, you, reading this blog - to send me pictures. Something you find on the internet, your favorite painting, whatever you want will work! Remember, I have 365 pieces to do here, people. I need art! Please!

So, give me a bit to set up the blog and get the ball rolling. But in the meantime, send those pictures to sydneywright11@gmail.com. I will love you forever!!

1 comment:

Jason L Carr said...

www.jasonlcarr.com...take your pick.