February 26, 2010

Spinning

Imagine this:
You're standing in a room. It's empty. Nothing on the floors, no furniture, no windows. Do you see it? Everything's white, blindingly so.

Now look again.

Everything's still white. Except the walls. They're reflecting your life back at you like some mirror that can see inside your heart and your mind. There are your friends and the time you spend with them, there's your memories of your childhood. All the decisions you're trying to make . . . everything. It's your life.

I'm standing in this room. Except, I can't see anything. The walls are spinning. I don't know what's going on with my life anymore. Searching. Indecision. Guilt.

Try as I might to stop it, I can't. If I take a step, the room tilts, threatening to throw me to certain death. I have to hold still. I have to stand here, alone, terrified, waiting for the walls to stop spinning.

At least while I'm in this room, I can't hurt anyone else.

~Sydney

*Photo by Matt Gray

No comments: