April 28, 2010

Book Review: Burned

So, this book just came out yesterday. I went and got it last night, started reading this morning, and finished earlier this evening. (Can I just say how much I love doing that?) Anyways, this book is the seventh in the House of Night series. Yes, it is a vampire series, but it's one of the best ones out there. Very modern, funny references to the present. I love it.

I've been eagerly waiting for this one. The last one, Tempted, ended with such a cliff hanger that I was dying to find out what happened. And this one did not disappoint. At all.

Usually, the books are told from Zoey Redbird's point of view. She's a 16-year-old (actually I think she's older than that now) vampyre High Priestess. Here's what you should know if you haven't read any of these books: vampyres are chosen and marked by a designated . . . marker I guess you'd call him. When chosen, a sapphire outline of a crescent moon appears on the forehead and marks the person as a vampyre fledgling. They then have to go to the nearest House of Night or risk dying from the changes that have started in their body. The House of Night is a school where vampyres go to learn they ways of the Vampyre Order and how to be a vampyre, etc. There's a lot more that goes into this but, you should just read the books. It's really worth it.

So, I guess I should warn that nothing much will make sense from here on out unless you've read the books, but feel free to keep reading or not.

Anyway, this book follows a lot of different people who've become extremely important to the story. Zoey's soul is shattered, Stark is desperately trying to save her but the only solution seems to be dying which would only crush Zoey further. Aphrodite has now received more powers from the goddess Nyx, even though she doesn't want them. Stevie Rae is still Imprinted with Rephaim, the most valued son of the enemy Kalona. Neferet is still manipulating everyone, including the fallen immortal Kalona, making it hard for Zoey's friends to make much progress in their quest to stop her. I could go on and on. Basically, problems are everywhere.

This installment didn't disappoint. You got to learn so much more about these characters you've fallen in love with. All the narration was still true to the story and characters the authors have created through the series. This one may have been my favorite. It focused a lot on the hope and love of the characters. I absolutely adored that. The last few have been all frenzy and action and fighting. Don't get me wrong, I love that, but I've been waiting for things to calm down a little bit. I know from the paragraph before, it sounds anything but calm. But a lot of little side problems were solved and it was just nice to see everyone come together to help Zoey.

Okay, I'm rambling now . . .

If you get anything from this, it's that if you pick up this series, you won't be disappointed at all. It's awesome. If you're already reading this series, this is the best book so far. Get it as soon as you can and start reading!

I'm not even going to hint at the ending.

Happy reading!

~Sydney

No comments: