April 18, 2010

Change In the Air

The semester is almost over.

Thank freaking heavens!

I'm not going to lie. This semester has been one of the roughest periods of my life. We got screwed over with our living and social arrangements. How so, you ask?

Well, Alyssa and I chose Liberty Square to move to last year because we had heard it was very social and that we would love it. They neglected to mention that the apartment we moved into is separate from the rest of Liberty Square and in a ward separate from the rest of the tenants. Seriously?? Our ward is made up of all these random houses that span across south campus. The average age in our ward is probably 22 or 23.

And for those of you saying to get out and go meet people - look at who you're saying that to.

I am not an outgoing person. If you put me in a social situation, I'll do my best, but otherwise I'm not the best at seeking out such situations. Needless to say, it was a lonely year for me.

If you know Provo, you know that it's practically the dating capital of the world. Not even kidding. In fact, one of my roommates will be married in less than a week. (Scary thought.) I was the only roommate who didn't date or have a significant other. It's never bothered me before. On some level it still doesn't bother me. But around so many couples, it's hard to remember it's okay to be single. I can't wait to be back in California where I won't feel like such the odd woman out.

I don't know how many times this semester I've called my mom, crying and begging her to let me come home. Now that I've reached the end, I have to say I'm grateful she made me stick it out. I have two years of college under my belt and all that's left is to take my English classes. Graduation may be in sight.

So, yes, this semester has been hard. I've struggled with myself, with other people, with beliefs that have been tested. I think there may have been more drama in my life during this semester than the rest of my life. I haven't handled all of it perfectly. There have been successes and failures. But it's all part of life. I can only learn as I go and use the experiences I've had this semester to do better.

But change is in the air.

I can feel it. Deep down. I'm excited for what is coming, and I haven't felt that in a long time. I get to go home. I get to be around my family and my best friends. I honestly can't wait. I can taste the joy and freedom that is coming my way. Life is going on and I couldn't ask for anything better.

I don't know what exactly lies ahead for me. But what I do know is that it is going to be a good change. I'm determined it will be.

Change.

I can't wait to embrace it.

~Sydney

No comments: