April 08, 2010

Book Review: Jessica's Guide to Dating on the Dark Side

I bought this book on Tuesday. I still have gift cards to Barnes & Noble and I needed something new. I went with the intent of getting some light, non-mythical book. Of course, I can't seem to stay away from vampires, even when I try to. I kept looking and looking, but nothing sounded good.  Then, I pulled this one out and it caught my attention. But I wanted real life, not vampires. Right when I'm about to put it back, an employee walks by and asks if I need any help. I politely declined, but she stopped, seeing the book in my hand, and asked if I had read it. I told her no.

"You'll love it. Did you like Twilight?" I nodded. "Then you will definitely like this one. The narrator is so funny. My sister's read it at least 10 times."

Well, that sealed the deal and I gave in. I read the whole thing yesterday. No, it's not a super short book. I think it's around 350 pages. But, for those who don't know, this isn't unusual. It's not uncommon for me to sit down and finish a book in a matter of hours. I'm a fast reader. Anyways, I hid out in my bedroom and was easily lost to the story.

The story is about Jessica (big surprise there) and the events of her senior year. She's got her best friend, her crush, and her plans for college. Then, this Romanian stranger shows up who claims he's a vampire and so is she. Not only is she a vampire, but she's a Romanian vampire princess. When she turns 18, they must get married to fulfill a pact made by their parents when they were born that would bring peace to their warring clans. Of course, Jessica doesn't want any part of it.

I was actually very pleased with it. Jessica is not "so funny" as the salesperson claimed. I actually found I could really relate to her and understood what she was going through, if you will. Lucius, the Romanian vampire prince, was quite intriguing. Not a lot of brooding, "I hate what I am," poor woe is me nonsense. He was perfectly happy being a vampire. In fact, he was quite arrogant and self assured for most of the time. I loved it. As much as he infuriated me, I loved him. And when he does brood, it's not for the typical reasons. It takes turns I didn't expect and doesn't stick to a lot of cliche vampire plots. I giggled and, yes, I cried too. If you're looking for something not too heavy, it's a great read.

~Sydney

No comments: